-Quality teaching and learning
-Effective Godly input
These are my simple goals for our school.
Short. Concise. To the point.
~Mark B. Tan – Principal
I believe that when we successfully combine these two goals, we will see amazing results: students who know who they are, know whose they are and their true potential.
Our students have significant potential – this I know. Our goal is to provide them with the opportunities, tools and encouragement to realise their individual potential.
I love our town, our region and our community. Having travelled the world, I know that I am in the right place and working with staff, students and whanau of the same mind, spirit and direction. When we work together, aiming for the same goals, heading in the same direction, we will achieve great results.
Our school is whanau-orientated, God-loving and safe. Once here, students simply don’t want to leave as it is a home away from home.
To this end, if you have any questions please let me know. I would love to assist you in the development of the education of your child . . . right here in the heart of the Far North of Aotearoa, New Zealand.
Kaitaia Abundant Life School is different from other schools in that it is required, through the integration agreement between the Proprietors (who own the buildings) and the Ministry of Education, to uphold its Christian Special Character.
The Christian Special Character of the school on a day to day basis can be observed through:
- Every Monday morning begins with a full school assembly that focuses on praise and worship (led by a student band), devotional teaching and whanaungatanga.
- Devotions classes in every class. These are normally based around a term theme, examples of which include love, courage, excellence, respect, whanaungatanga, knowing God, etc.
- All teachers are Christians and teach their subjects in a manner that reflects the glory of God.
For the sake of clarity, we define the term Christian in the following 3 points:
- Someone who believes that God is the creator of the universe (Genesis 1-6).
- Someone who believes that the Bible is God’s inspired word (Hebrews 4:12).
- Someone who has accepted Jesus as their personal Lord and saviour and continues in this faith (Romans 10:9).
We are a state-integrated area school with a Christian special character. At the core of the school is the integration document between the Ministry of Education (MOE) and the proprietors which allow KALS to offer the national curriculum from Year 1-13 in its own buildings whilst being fully funded by the MOE. Attendance dues are charged by the proprietors to allow for payment of the mortgage and capital works on the site.
The school enrols students from Christian families mainly and this is termed “preference enrolment” by the Ministry of Education.
The school is also permitted to enrol 10% “non-preference” students; these are ones who would not fall within the 3 categories above.